Thursday, July 18, 2013

Devlog 2: functions and portraits

It's been a busy last few days in terms of work. Within the last day alone, I wrote about a hundred lines just for the different message systems used ingame, and at some point there will probably be more. These consist of Dialogue();, which takes three lines of dialogue (and I'm probably going to boost it up to four, just for compatibility's sake) and a defined character portrait (which I am currently procrastinating on making, but I'll get to that in a bit), and display them all in a tasteful manner. I'll have a picture of this once I have a few portraits done. The other is miniwindow(), which takes four lines of dialogue and is usually used for prompts and descriptions.

Now, the problem with this currently is that the default text color is white, and I haven't figured out a way to change it to something a little more readable on the message window, say, black. 

In other programming news, I've also programmed a neat little one-slot saving function, which I might bump up to three, but I'm not sure yet. 

Anyway, on to the character portraits. These are used for the aforementioned Dialogue function, which displays an image of whoever's speaking at either the right or the left side of the screen. I was initially making them in Flash, but when I realized it wasn't working out, I scrapped that idea and decided to do a more traditional style. That still has yet to be done, and will probably be done a lot later than most other things. I've tried so many styles and versions that it's getting a bit overwhelming. Things just don't come out in the style I want.

In better news, the soundtrack is coming along very well. I have a bunch of music composed, but I need to slap preliminary versions together to see how they work. For production, I use Logic Pro 9, which is absolutely amazing for this purpose. I will begin posting music here very soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment