Saturday, July 27, 2013

Devlog 4: And also some other game things

I apologize in advance for the lack of pictures.

While I am basically a professional, character art takes a very, very long time. The reason for this is that I don't want samey characters, but instead characters instantly recognizable by what they look like. I haven't even finished a spritesheet for a single character, let alone the numerous other characters that will be appearing. This is officially the most ambitious project I've ever done, in terms of scale, scope, and the percentage of my overall skill being put to work. For the record, it's basicaly 100%.

The list of stuff that needs to be done is currently massive, but I don't expect this game to be done any time soon. I have to finish templates for character animations, then make some characters, then I have to make portraits for each character, then I have to write the code for a pretty complicated pause system, and then I can really move on into the creation of each chapter. That includes massive spritesheets and tilesheets for each.

Anyway, I've been working on another, currently unnamed game that may or may not be eventually put under Kraken Studio's purview, but that's a long way from any sort of completion. I'm primarily the artist and composer, but considering I know C++ fairly well (and we're making this game in Torque 2D) I've been doing a lot of the programming, too. I'm doubtful anything about this game will show up in its own devlog for quite a while.

...And outside of making these games, I've been getting ready to kick the production of a new album into gear. I'm currently in Colorado for a week, and all my equipment is at home, or in transit. I bought a new Novation keyboard to do real production work with, so I just need to get home and wait a couple days for that to arrive before things really start getting done.

Here's a link to a WIP song from this album:

https://soundcloud.com/theoregontrails/unnamed-track

No comments:

Post a Comment